Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Creating Change

Sunday night I returned from Minneapolis after 4 days at the Creating Change Conference.  I was both inspired and overwhelmed with all the information.  Attending a day long session, 6 workshops, 1 movie, 1 reception and meeting with 6 individuals/groups kept me hopping.  I was up early and flopped into bed exhausted each night.  But over the course of those days I met some of the most amazing human beings.  I met mothers like me who wanted to support their LGBT children and all the other LGBT children in their communities.  I met educators and health professionals who wanted to make schools and society safer for all youth, especially LGBT youth.  There were representatives from non profits, churches, youth groups, businesses and schools.  My son, Aiden was there.  My future daughter-in-law, Mary was there.

Edmund Burke said, "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."  In Minneapolis, I saw over 2500 individuals come together hoping to do something.  And so from the East Coast to the West Coast, we brought our knowledge, we brought our questions and we brought our hope.  How can you not stand in awe at that?

1 comment: