Sunday, October 6, 2013

The World Is Watching

Recently I had a chance to travel to Fuzhou, China, to speak to LGBT young people and their parents at a national conference for PFLAG China. Initially I was going to turn down the invitation; it is so far to travel alone, and I don't speak Chinese. I was afraid. But I want to make this world safer for my transgender son and all LGBT individuals. How can I do this if I don't take a risk and travel when invited? I typed up my positive response to the executive director of PFLAG China, and with my finger hovering over the keys, I took a deep breath and pushed the "send" key, feeling courage enter me as my message traveled halfway across the globe.
Two months later I was traveling to Asia, scared and excited, and having few expectations but anticipating that I would experience things that would change who I am as a mother and LGBT activist. I wasn't disappointed . . . Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment