Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Mother’s Take: Celebrating with Pride

Gabrielle Gainor, Sarah Baker and me copyThe month of June is known for graduations, weddings and now for our family, it is LGBTQ Pride month. This year, I have had the opportunity to celebrate all three. Beginning in May, I attended four University of La Verne graduation celebrations for Aiden: One for LGBTQ individuals and their allies and another for Asian American graduates. I also attended Aiden’s baccalaureate, where he read the Litany of Affirmation, which began with, “We are the many songs of this Universe . . . And so we have a great responsibility to remember who we are.” The litany ended with, “We are makers of peace.” I cried when I heard my son read those words because through all his challenges and pain, I know all he wants to do with the rest of his life is to be his true self and bring greater peace and love into this world...Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment