Friday, March 10, 2017

A Mother’s Take: Speaking Up

Recently, I attended a book launch for “Fred Korematsu Speaks Up,” sponsored by Asian Americans Advancing Justice — Los Angeles and written by Stan Yogi and Laura Atkins. Stan Yogi and I worked on Okaeri 2016 together, and I wanted to support him. I also wanted to learn more about this courageous man whose image I recently saw Google change their home page icon to on Jan. 30. This day had been chosen because in 2010, the Governor of California signed the legislative bill establishing Fred Korematsu Day of Civil Liberties and the Constitution. It was also Fred’s birthday. This was the first statewide day in U.S. History named after an Asian American.

What struck me deeply at this book event was that Fred’s children did not know what their father had done until they heard about him from others. He had stayed silent about his defiance of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Executive Order 9066, which allowed the military to imprison close to 120,000 Japanese American citizens and send them off to desolate areas of the country...(Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment