Saturday, April 8, 2017

A Second Chance: How An Educator Helped My Trans Son Find His Greatness

 

Recently I had the opportunity to thank someone who I believe changed the course of my child’s future. I didn’t realize it completely, until the moment when Dr. David Vannasdall walked into the room and tears began to roll down my face. He is the superintendent of a local school district and we had been brought together to film Diane Sawyer’s 20/20 Special following up on Caitlin Jenner’s story and talking about transgender issues.
But let me begin at the beginning . . . .
Ten years ago, my daughter announced to me, “I am not going back to school.” I was devastated, because she was a senior in high school and had 6 months to graduate. My position at the time was a director of educational programs for a dropout recovery charter school. And here I was faced with a child who was ready to drop out. (Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment